Thursday, May 04, 2006

Positive messages for kids


A prospective customer of our baby gear asked me yesterday about other empowering messages that I think are important to surround kids with. I'm not a parent, but I play one on TV - actually, I don't even do that. What I can offer is what I've learned from my parents and other parents that I admire. Rather than quotes, these are general ideas I like.

Encourage them to daydream. It sets a good precedent for dreaming big later on.

Foster their creativity. Always be encouraging when they are expressing their artistic side (when they draw huge circles on your suede couch with a purple marker, maybe not so much. Not that I know anyone that would do that. Again, so sorry, Mom) And for the love of god, let them color outside the lines.

Revel in their silliness. We all know that the sillies get shaken out of you quickly enough when you grow up, so let 'em be a silly goose now. Joining in wouldn't be such a bad idea for you either.

Don't be stingy with praise. And let them overhear you saying complimentary things about them to others.

Have any to add?

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Tell them you love them!!

Brenda said...

Don't be afraid to hug and kiss them as much as you can! Sooner or later (more sooner rather than later) they will grow up and no longer want them.

Don't be so worried about getting them to learn everything before they even enter preschool. They don't need to know how to read by age 3. Just let them be kids..get down on the floor and play with them and run with them..let them be kids before they need to sit and learn everything. And they even seem to learn so much more when it's not structured!

Susan said...

Great additions - thank you!

Michelle said...

When Collin was a baby I entered this contest for some pacifier that played music. You had to tell which song it should play & why. I was runner up with "You are My Sunshine" and won a bunch of goodies. At 10, I sometimes forget to let him know that he still is my sunshine!