Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Being Mick

I have to admit, I wasn't a fan of Mick Jagger until I saw him perform with the Rolling Stones. I was in 9th grade and the sheer force of his energy was hypnotizing, even for someone who was more into George Michael and Bon Jovi at the time (much to my father's dismay). I actually prefer Mick Jagger's solo albums over the Stones; each of his two albums are soulful, funky, and addicting.

So when I heard about his documentary, Being Mick, about putting together his latest album, I couldn't wait to see it. I thought it was a interesting glimpse into his life and what goes into making an album. I'm always interested in how things are made; from jelly beans to ice cream (both of which I have had the extreme pleasure of seeing); I guess I really like to see the details of the hard work that goes into a product. Anywho, I thought I would share his insight when asked about his creative process in songwriting.
"You might get an idea late at night, but I think you get much faster earlier in the day... because I think you sleep on it sometimes. Write everything down you can and don't worry too much if it's late, because you're tired. See everything you've got and then the next day, get up in the morning, have breakfast, then immediately just do that. Quite often it comes really quickly."
Sdebar: The fact that Bono and Lenny Kravitz appear in it to each work on a different song with him is just a bonus, and if you were wondering, it strengthened my love for both of them.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I enjoy finding out about the meat and potatoes in most things.

Brenda said...

Very interesting. Nice to find out how things work.