Monday, June 19, 2006

The balance between work and life


I was at a party the other night and was talking to another woman who has owned a couple of businesses. She was shocked to hear that I was able to go on my 10 day vacation and leave business here. I admitted that I checked in a couple of times, but was suddenly very proud of the fact that I have (after seven years of struggling) maintained a good balance between my business and my life. They used to be one and the same - and to some extent, they still are - but it's much healthier now. I guess I eventually figured out that no one was going to die from not getting their soap rolls.

Things I do to nurture a good balance:

  • Don't sweat the small stuff. Think about it in the grand scheme of things - is it really that big of a deal? Some things are, but most things aren't.
  • Take a day off every now and then. And when I'm on that day off, I might check in once or twice, but otherwise, it's just a day working out of the office.
  • Work efficiently. Making good use of my time while working allows me to get more done and enjoy my free time without feeling guilty.
  • Remember that it's just business. It doesn't take precedence over my home life, or my happiness.

Do you have a good balance between work and life? What do you do to nurture that balance?

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Well, I'd have to say it's not much of a balance...since my work IS my life. I'm a sahm so I work 24/7! But it honestly is the most rewarding work, so I don't mind one bit.