Friday, March 10, 2006

Q&A: Homework

Question: Do you find it difficult to work from home?

I get this question a lot - most people think that they couldn't work from home because they wouldn't get anything done. It's the opposite for me - working from home is sometimes difficult because I can never really turn it off. When my husband, Kevin, comes home, he can leave work at work (for the most part), but it's a little harder for me. If I have a large order to get out, or some big deadline looming, I don't really have a choice. This was especially hard in the beginning, but I've learned to balance it. I try not to work at night (e-mail doesn't count, right?) or on the weekends. I remember early on someone telling me to "close the office door at night"... I felt like saying, "You obviously have never had your own business." You have to make hay while the sun shines, (insert other corny euphemisms to your liking) so don't beat yourself up - just do your best.

A couple of tips..

  • Try to keep certain hours if you can. Following a schedule will keep you in check and won't make you feel like you're working 24/7.
  • Make it a point to get out - whether it's to do some market research, scour mags at the bookstore, or meet with other entrepreneurs - you need to get out of the house every now and then!
  • Everyone says, "Get dressed in the morning". I say, "Do whatever works for you!" If I feel like staying in my pajamas because I feel most productive earlier in the day, so be it. None of my clients know that I'm wearing my green pajamas pants with orange tigers as I'm taking their order, nor do they care. Well, maybe they know now.

Now, get back to work!

No comments: