Monday, March 06, 2006

Q&A: Reading business books

Question:
When do you read biz books, mags, etc? It may sounds silly, but I struggle with reading trade pubs, etc. Although inspirational, I find the time on the weekends, at nite, etc. - when I'm trying to wind down. They often stress me out again. Any suggestions? - Jill

Three suggestions...

  • When I'm stuck in a creative rut during the workday or feel like I'm not being productive, I'll take 30 minutes and read a biz book. That way I don't feel guilty for not working, and it usually jump-starts my brain!
  • I try to intersperse business-related books with fun fiction. Sometimes I have the same problem where I feel overwhelmed when reading a particularly intense business book so mixing it up with either leisure mags or chick lit allows me to go back to that book later and get more out of it.
  • I only allow myself to read a small portion at a time. That way I don't read so much that I can't process it and use what I've learned. Keep in mind, it's only worth your time if you're really getting something out of it.

Hope that helps! Happy reading!

No comments: