Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Work like a Slave

I'm excited to share my first book recommendation, "Rules for Revolutionaries" by Guy Kawasaki. I was in Boston a couple of years ago and had some time to kill so of course I made a beeline for the bookstore (what Starbucks is to coffee addicts is what Barnes & Noble is for geeks like me.) I stumbled upon this book and couldn't put it down all day. Kawasaki was the "chief evangelist at Apple Computer and an iconoclastic corporate tactician who now works with high-tech startups in Silicon Valley." I really enjoy his straight-forward, easy-to-read manner of writing and found this book to be inspirational and fun to read. His 3 steps to success in the marketplace: Create like a God, Command like a King, Work like a Slave. Well... at least I've got the last one mastered.

While I'm at it, I might as well share his other book that I just finished "The Art of the Start", a quick-read about launching any type of business. My favorite part was about creating a Mantra instead of mission statement. Mission statements are out - they all sound the same and they are too long to really remember. Instead, choose a quip that's bold and concise.

Sidebar #1: I just went to look at "R4R" and realized I must have loaned it to someone. If you are reading this and you have my copy, I will find you.
Sidebar #2: I wrote an e-mail to Guy and got a personal response within minutes! How fun is that?

No comments: